Choosing a dentist can be tough. Many people will stick to the same dentist for large portions of their life. They are usually more than just someone looking at your teeth. Good dentists can forge lasting bonds with their patients. If you have been going to the same dentist for a while, when they retire, you move to a new area, or for any other reason, there is a pretty big hole that needs to be filled. It can be rough searching for a new person to feel comfortable in entrusting your dental health too. We are here to help! In this article, we have laid out some of the best tips and tricks to assist you in making the switch to a new dentist!
Convenience – How easy are they to reach?
Before even starting to look for a dentist, be sure to keep these 4 pieces of information in mind. They will be the biggest factors in finding the perfect dentist match for your needs.
- How close are they to where you live? Your place of work?
- Check to see if the dentist is within your dental benefits network if you have benefits.
- Is the dentist a member of the American Dental Association?
- What are their office hours? How do they match up with your availability?
The Hunt – Exploring available options
Once you are on the lookout for a new dentist, suddenly ads targeting you will be seemingly everywhere. So, how do you search through to find the best options?
- A simple Google search such as “Best Dentist Near Me…”
- Use online tools such as the American Dental Association’s find a dentist tool. Along with this one, there are quite a few you can find.
- Read reviews and make your own decision based on what people have written. Everyone has a unique experience, for better or worse.
- Be sure to thoroughly go through the websites of dentists you find that might match what you are looking for. This helps you get to know them better and might ease your uneasiness of entering a new environment.
Testing New Waters
After you’ve narrowed it down to your top choices, most dentists allow you to have the option of talking over the phone or even an in-person consultation. Here is where you can test your comfortability with the dentist, their staff, and their office. There are a few things you can do to make it a beneficial experience.
- Examine the office to make sure it is what you are looking for. Scenery, the staff’s personability, cleanliness, etc. are all things to keep in mind.
- Does the dentist’s office provide emergency dentistry?
- Make sure the dentist and staff understand your concerns and any anxieties you may have involving dental work.
- Try to gauge if the dentist is happily working with you to provide the best care, and not just focused on a dollar figure.
Finalizing Your Choice
Did the dentist you choose live up to your expectations? If not, don’t feel bad about trying out another one. Your overall health can be greatly affected by your oral health and care. A good dentist should be a trusted guide you can look to in times of health needs.
We’d love to meet you, stop by Rother Dental, or give us a call at 717.963.3198. We would be happy to answer any questions you may have or help you schedule an appointment.